Hello, and welcome to Travelerette! I am here to provide humorous travel tips for the solo female adventurer! I hope that I can motivate you to get out there, see the world, learn something, and have a sense of humor about it all.
My travel philosophy can be boiled down to these principles:
- Always have a sense of humor, especially about yourself.
- Choose up to five places you simply must see each day (tourist attractions, restaurants, shops, whatever) and leave the rest of the time to explore and meander.
- Stick to one neighborhood per day so you’re not running around like a lunatic and have time for random adventures.
- Always write down at least one thing you learned after each attraction you visit and each meal you eat.
- Say yes to new experiences, unless you think someone is trying to murder or assault you. Say no to being murdered.
Why should you listen me? Well, I have a great many useful skills. Here are just a few of them:
- I am a native New Yorker.
- I don’t know how to drive or ride a bicycle. You might think that’s not a skill, but I’ve gotten very good at exploring the world without either of those things, so I can share those tips with you.
- I speak English extremely well.
- I speak French very well.
- I speak Japanese very poorly, but I can read hiragana and katakana.
- In four years time I have traveled in 6 continents, 26 countries, and 81 cities.
- I collect photos of ice cream and cats.
- I eat everything and that includes natto, grasshoppers, and chicken feet.
My next travel goal is to visit all 50 states (and DC) in five years, even if I have been to a state before. So far I am in Year Two and I have visited:
- New York
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- New Mexico
If you have any Must-Dos in the United States, please share them with me! I look forward to hearing from you! I’m sure we’ll have a great time exploring the world and making each other smile.